So, for today I have another American Girl recreation. I was looking at some of the AG outfits today, when I saw the Petal Pet outfit. I thought this would be an easy and quick project to share with you. I usually am not a big fan of doll pets and pet outfits, but this one is pretty cute, even if I personally would never put it on a real dog, but its fun, so why not? Click here to view the original. So, here are the instructions:
What you need:
- felt in the colors you want (or if you want it to be like the AG one: green, pink and purple)
- elastic in the color you want (I took white, because thats what I had, AG chose lavender)
- one or more beads
- a button
- and a sewing machine or needle and thread
How to do it:
For the collar:
- Measure your pets neck and draw a circle (that fits your pets neck) on your first color of felt (leave some room on each side for the petals).
- Draw petals to the sides of your circle leaving some extra room from the circle line.
- Cut out the whole thing, so you have something like a large flower
- Cut an opening and the inside circle out (make sure you leave some space from the petals so you have some extra felt as the main collar)
- Repeat with 2 or more colors (make sure your next ones are a bit smaller, so you see the color underneath, but still fits around your pets neck).
- Now sew together all 3 pieces in the inside circle.
- Sew a button to one end and cut a small opening to the other side for the closure.
- You are done and have a colorful petal collar for your dolls pet dog, cat or bunny.
For the headband:
- Cut a piece of elastic to fit around your pets head.
- Cut a flower out of your felt in the size to fit your pet.
- Sew or glue a button, bead or something similar to your flower.
- Glue or sew your flower to the elastic to make a headband.
- Now you have a cute pet headband to match your collar.
American Girl has this with the Halloween outfits, so I guess you could use it for that too. Do you have costumes for your dolls yet? I don´t, but maybe I´ll create one with clothing I have or I´ll sew one.